ICRC Mission in Seoul
Function: Communication Officer
Employment type: Full-time
Start Date: As soon as possible
Working Place: Seoul, Republic of Korea
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles. Established in 1863, the ICRC is at the origin of the Geneva Conventions and the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. It directs and coordinates the international activities conducted by the Movement in armed conflicts and other situations of violence.
Purpose of the post
Based on priorities and objectives set by the ICRC Mission in the Republic of Korea, the Communication Officer contributes to the implementation of public communication activities aimed at raising the profile of and the interest in the ICRC and related humanitarian issues in the Republic of Korea. Under the supervision of the communication responsible, the communication officer will:
Standard function description:
- Supports ICRC’s public communication efforts with the media and online, in Korean and English, in the Republic of Korea.
- Supports the ICRC’s engagement with and outreach through online platforms in Korean language.
- Develops and creates online and media content in Korean on the ICRC, its role and response to humanitarian needs worldwide, IHL and related humanitarian issues.
- Contributes towards the monitoring of public, specialized and academic sources on humanitarian issues from Korean language sources.
- Provides coverage of a broad range of ICRC activities and positions in the Korean Media
- Provides summaries, specific reporting and analysis on domestic, regional and international humanitarian issues
- Manages the translation of documents from English into Korean and vice-versa.
- Supports the Mission’s efforts in interacting with its stakeholders, in Korean language.
- Monitors ICRC and other visibility in the Korean media.
- Provides communication support to other departments/ teams to leverage the use of media in contributing towards program objectives.
- Assists the efforts of the Mission in disseminating information via a range of online platforms such as the ICRC website, Facebook and Instagram accounts and e-newsletter etc.
- Adapts institutional content and/or creates Korean-specific content on the ICRC online platforms, in Korean language.
- Contributes to the office’s effort of monitoring Korean media, specialized and academic sources, particularly on-line and print, concerning the Korean Peninsula on humanitarian, political and security issues and provides written and verbal summaries.
- Identifies and informs in a timely manner about issues and developments important to the delegation’s understanding of the Korean Peninsula.
- Regularly monitors activities on online platforms and responds to inquiries.
- Develops promotional items for on/offline events.
- Manages printing of publications into Korean and Communications production/publication stock.
- Translates ICRC contents from English to Korean, when required, and coordinates translation/ interpretation jobs with agencies and/or freelancers.
- Supports other departments in translation & interpretation based on needs.
- Provides technical and administrative support to other programs in the Mission, when required (e.g. filing, stock management and event organization).
- Shares internal analysis on the Mission’s public communication activities.
- Maintains an adequate filing system for all areas of responsibility.
- Follows the financial and administrative procedures for all areas of responsibility.
- Awareness of the Mission’s objectives and activities.
- Applies the ICRC’s Security Rules, at all times.
- Respects and observes the staff regulations of the Mission.
The employee may be asked to perform other related duties and tasks not covered in this job description as may be assigned by the Communication responsible, as well as to provide support to other departments, when necessary.
- Advanced university degree or professional qualification in communications, international affairs or other related fields.
- Preferably two years of work experience in media, communications / public relations or humanitarian or international organizations.
- Sound knowledge of the political, social, media and social media environment in the country/region covered.
- Proven capacity to analyze political situations.
- Excellent spoken and written Korean and English.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Relevant experience in image/video-editing, digital and social media experience will be an asset.
- Experience in organizing events will be an asset.
- Ability to multi-task projects with short deadlines.
- Internally, interacts actively with team members of the ICRC Mission and ICRC Regional Delegation (Beijing), regional communication centres and other set-ups.
- Externally, interacts with clients, service-providers, publication/production agencies, translation/interpretation agencies and social media followers.
How to Apply
- Submit CV, cover letter and names and contact details of two referees in English to email@example.com by Friday 5 July 2019
(Only successful candidates will be contacted for a written test and an interview)
- ICRC website: http://icrc.org (ENG) | http://kr.icrc.org (KOR)
- ICRC www.facebook: facebook.com/icrc (ENG) | www.facebook.com/icrckr (KOR)