ICRC Mission in Seoul
ICRC staffs work with police and armed forces to limit or prevent the suffering of people affected by armed conflict or other situations of violence.
Function: Armed Forces Officer/Program Assistant
Employment type: Full-time
Start Date: December 2019
Working Place: Seoul, Republic of Korea
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of persons affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavors to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening international humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles. Established in 1863, the ICRC is at the origin of the Geneva Conventions and the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. It directs and coordinates the international activities conducted by the Movement in armed conflicts and other situations of violence.
JOB PURPOSE & RELATIONSHIP
- The Armed Forces Officer/Program Assistant supports the implementation of the Armed Forces program in the Republic of Korea.
- He/she will have a direct line of management from the Head of Mission and a direct line of technical support and relations with the Armed Forces Delegate based in the ICRC Regional Delegation in Beijing.
- In addition, he/she will work with the IHL, COM, Chancellery and Welcome units in the Seoul Mission.
- Externally, he/she will interact with representatives/ offices of armed and security forces in the Republic of Korea, as appropriate.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Independently creates, maintains, develops and contributes towards a database containing various levels of military and police authority contacts or other relevant external interlocutor (military or policy attachés, NGOs, UN system, etc.).
- Represents the ICRC at his/her level of expertise (dissemination, training of arms carriers).
- Organizes meetings, gatherings or conferences under the technical support from the Armed Forces Delegate, applying relevant administrative and logistics procedures.
- Contributes, if necessary, to written reporting, interpretation or translation.
- Follows-up and keeps track of budget expenditure relating to the Armed Forces Programme.
- Upon request, takes notes during meetings and conference, and drafts reports based on them.
- Other duties, upon the request of the Head of Mission.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct.
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times.
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times.
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers.
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC.
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary.
- University Degree (Legal and security studies as an asset).
- Fluent command of Korean and English language.
- International experience in peacekeeping is a strong asset.
- At least 3 years of professional experience as a Military Officer.
- Computer proficiency.
- Strong presentation and representational skills.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit CV, cover letter and names & contact details with e-mail addresses of two referees in English to email@example.com by Thursday 24 October 2019.
-Email queries will be only considered (firstname.lastname@example.org)
-Only successful candidates will be contacted for a written test and an interview.
- ICRC Website: http://icrc.org (ENG) | https://kr.icrc.org (KOR)
- ICRC Facebook: www.facebook.com/icrc (ENG) | www.facebook.com/icrckr (KOR)