Associate (Temporary and Part-time)
ICRC Mission, Seoul
About the ICRC
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of populations affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles. Established in 1863, the ICRC is at the origin of the Geneva Conventions and the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. It directs and coordinates the international activities conducted by the Movement in armed conflicts and other situations of violence.
The ICRC Mission in Seoul is recruiting a part-time Associate.
Contribute towards the development of ongoing projects, plans and processes by liaising with and providing support to internal units/departments (for example, on International Humanitarian Law [IHL], Policy, Communications [COM], Red Cross/ Red Crescent Movement affairs [MOUV], Resource Mobilisation, and Armed Forces [FAS]).
▪ Support the organization and coordination of external meetings and/or event(s) (relating to IHL, COM, MOUV, relations with National Authorities and Armed Forces, etc) on behalf of the ICRC Mission;
▪ Support the ICRC Mission in gathering information, researching and drafting COM stories based on ICRC operations;
▪ Provide research into and/or support on IHL themes/ issues;
▪ Prepare draft COM content for use on traditional and social media platforms and networks, ensuring consistency with institutional messages;
▪ Support the translation of documents of the Mission from English into Korean language and vice-versa;
▪ Conduct research on humanitarian actors’ activities and related tasks in relevant contexts;
▪ Perform other duties, as required, by the Head of Mission.
Qualifications and Experience
▪ University degree or qualification in digital media, communications, international affairs or other related fields;
▪ Excellent verbal and writing skills in English and Korean;
▪ Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook); relevant certificate could be an asset
▪ Strong interest in humanitarian work;
▪ Interest in communications, photography, and developing targeted social media content;
▪ Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task; and
▪ Team-player, culturally sensitive and enjoys working in a diverse context.
▪ Depending on opportunities and availability of funds, he/she may participate in ICRC workshops or conferences, as appropriate.
At the end of the assignment, the ICRC Associate should have a good understanding of:
▪ The Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross/ Red Crescent Movement;
▪ The ICRC’s work in the Republic of Korea and in other contexts;
▪ The basic principles of IHL;
▪ How externally-published human-interest stories and photo essays are developed;
▪ Communication skills to create content for use on traditional and social media platforms and networks; and
▪ General humanitarian issues in contexts of armed conflict and/or situations of violence.
▪ Paid internship.
▪ Starting ASAP (Approximately 3 months), four times a week (Working days and hours are negotiable).
How to apply:
▪ Please submit a CV and a letter of motivation in English to email@example.com by 22 September 2020.
▪ Short-listed candidates will be contacted for the second part of the selection process.
▪ ICRC website: http://icrc.org (ENG) | http://kr.icrc.org (KOR).
▪ ICRC Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ICRC (ENG) | https://www.facebook.com/icrckr (KOR).