Human Resources Manager on International Assignment
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
As a part of our HR strategy, we are looking for experienced and skilled HR Managers to be deployed in the field to support the teams delivering humanitarian aid & services to beneficiaries in our field delegations.
You will deliver consistent high-quality HR services in a Delegation, in order to enable line managers and employees to adequately respond to operational challenges in the field.
You will ensure the proper implementation of the HR division’s strategy, objectives and policies on top of overseeing all aspects of Human Resources practices and processes on site.
In parallel, you will provide the appropriate level of up-stream communication with Regions and Services at the Headquarters on HR related matters.
As a HR Manager, you will promote organizational values and enable field operations with success through human resources management, including job design, recruitment, performance management, training & development, employment cycle changes, talent management, ongoing HR projects etc.
This role implies direct supervision of providers of HR Services within sites attached to the Delegation.
This function reports to:
- Head of Delegation or Deputy Head of Delegation (hierarchical reporting)
- HR Operations Division, in principle the Regional HR Partner (functional reporting at the Headquarters (HQ))
HR strategy –
- Develop and implement HR strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall HR Division/Organization strategy;
- Develop and monitor overall HR strategies, systems, tactics and procedures across the Delegation and the Region with the HR Partner support (based in HQ).
HR Framework –
- Responsible for the establishment and development of the HR management framework of the Delegation in compliance with ICRC policies and legal obligations (in collaboration with Centre of Expertise in HQ);
- Elaborate adequate application of local HR processes, policies and procedures within the Delegation;
- Advise on the HR legal framework for consultancy contracts.
HR Operations –
- Responsible to set-up, adjust and update all aspects of the HR Organisational structure in the country/ies covered;
- Supervise & monitor all Sourcing and Talent Acquisition, On-and Off-boarding activities in the country/ies covered;
- Supervise and promote Career, Talent Management and Learning and Development activities ensuring coherence, consistency and respect of institutional policies;
- Oversee and manage the performance appraisal process ; assist and guide colleagues within the Internal Assignment Planning procedure and process;
- Have the overall responsibility for all aspects related to Employee Relations : bridge management and employee relations by addressing demands, grievances or other issues;
- Support current and future operational needs through the development, engagement, motivation and preservation of human capital.
Support to Managers –
- Advise and guide Line Managers in the execution of their people management responsibilities.
- Act as an Ambassador of Change towards Managers in the implementation of the ongoing global HR Transformation
- Engage with and win the respect of Managers and Top Management to successfully influence them on key change initiatives
Supervision of other HR Service Providers –
- Supervise, guide and coach HR Teams in the execution of daily HR activities and provides training plans, up-skilling initiatives and advice in accordance with ICRC global norms and standards
HR Projects –
- Implements ad-hoc HR projects and initiatives upon request from HR Operations Division in HQ
- Proposes such ad hoc projects on HR related matters to the delegation and HR Operations Division in HQ in accordance to needs and priorities.
Desired profile and skills
- Confirmed experience of minimum 5 years as HR Manager or HR Executive or HR Generalist or HR Business Partner;
- University diploma in HR – with a minimum of a Bachelor degree, Master will be preferred;
- Experience in the management of complex and diverse teams (mid to large size) with demonstrated track record in driving transformation and implementing change in complex and challenging situations;
- Confirmed experience in an international environment (in an unstable environment would be a strong asset) and/or with a humanitarian, development, cooperation, volunteering organization, successfully operating in a matrix organization;
- Fully conversant with IT tools.
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work
- Able to work under pressure in a potentially dangerous environment
- In-depth knowledge and experience of HR-good-practices, profound knowledge of HR systems and databases
- In-depth knowledge in employment law, HR administration, workforce and organizational planning, compensation and benefits, recruitment, selection and staffing, performance management, learning and development, employee relations, staff health and safety, and employee engagement
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a knowledgeable resource and sounding board to the management team
=> People oriented and results driven
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching skills
- Ability to practice and coach line managers in the practice of a high level of people management
- Competence to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop HR department staff members
- Excellent active listening, negotiation and presentation skills as well as written and spoken communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop HR department staff members.
- English mandatory at a B2 level (according to the European framework of the reference for languages)
- Any other language as French, Arabic, Spanish, Russian Or Portuguese at a B2 level (according to the European framework of the reference for languages) will be considered as a strong asset.
Our operational & field constraints
- In line with the principle of neutrality, the ICRC does not assign personnel to a country of which they are nationals
- Candidates must be in good health and will have to do a medical check-up prior to departure in the field
- Candidates must possess a driving licence (for manual transmission vehicles)
- Candidates must be prepared to accept unaccompanied postings (i.e. no spouse, partner, children or dependents) for between 6 to 24 months
What we offer
- An opportunity to practice your profession in a fast-paced humanitarian and multicultural environment
- A unique opportunity to contribute and shape a major HR Transformation
- Integration program
- Competitive Rewards & Benefits, including access to further in-house and/or external training
- Generous social benefits including pension plan, medical cover etc.
- Minimum length of assignment: 18 months (6 months in some cases)
WE ARE LOOKING FOR HR MANAGERS TO BE DEPLOYED in OUR FIELD DELEGATIONS
Ready to apply? You will need to upload your resume and a cover letter both in English language, as well as copies of your diplomas and certifications, passport and driving license. To apply for this opportunity, please click on the “Apply” button below and create/sign in to your account!
End of application: July 18th 2021 APPLY
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
Please note that if selected, you will not be hired by ICRC until we offer you a specific mission/assignment.