Function: Legal officer
Employment type: Full time
Grade : B2
Starting Date: 1/6/2018, possibly earlier
Working Place: Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Under the direction of the Head of ICRC Mission in Seoul and the technical supervision of the Head of the Legal Department based in Beijing, the legal officer, contributes to the design, planning and implementation of IHL projects and activities in coordination with the management. S/he contributes to representing the ICRC externally and to building the necessary understanding, acceptance and support of the ICRC among key stakeholders.
MINIMUM REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
Certification / Education required
- University degree, preferably in Law. A Master’s degree or specialization in international law would be an asset.
- Fluent spoken and written English and Korean. Others languages are an asset.
- Computer skills (proficiency in MS Office). Professional experience required
Professional experience required
- 3 years work experience in a related field. Working experience with an International Organisation and / or overseas is an asset.
- Teaching / dissemination experience is an asset. The person must be at ease addressing large audiences.
- Good knowledge of the political, social and academic environment in Korea.
Under the direction of the Head of ICRC Mission in Seoul and the technical supervision of the Head of the Legal Department based in Beijing:
- Supports IHL dissemination activities directed at specialized audiences and the public at large and the implementation of strategies, programmes and action plans related to IHL treaty participation, the development of relevant domestic legal and policy frameworks and mechanisms for their implementation.
- Organizes meetings, training courses, conferences and other IHL events applying relevant administrative and logistical procedures.
- Contributes to written reporting, interpretation or translation, including minutes of meetings, reports on conferences and other events, monthly operational reports, etc.
- Monitors the development in the national implementation of IHL and advises on socio-political and legal aspects related to the Mission’s strategy and operations, including humanitarian / multilateral diplomacy strategies. Coordinates and supervises external consultancies on legal issues. Follows up and keeps track of programme and activity development, as well as budget expenditure.
- Develops, maintains and expands a network of relevant interlocutors within the government authorities, national society, academic community, think tanks and research institutes and explores possibilities for interaction in the field of IHL.
- Provides support to the FAS department of the mission (relations with the military and security forces), advising the FAS programme officer with legal matters and maintaining good professional relations with legal officers.
- Provides support to the Communication department of the mission, translating IHL publications and organizing IHL public awareness and promotion events, including online.
- Understands the three components of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement;
- Applies the security rules at all times;
- Respects and observes staff regulations as well as the code of conduct of the ICRC;
- May be asked to perform duties and task not covered in this job description as well as to provide support to other departments when necessary.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit CV, cover letter and names and contact details of two referees in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30/4/2018
- (Only successful candidates will be contacted for a written test and an interview)
ABOUT THE ICRC
Established in 1863, the ICRC operates worldwide, helping people affected by conflict and armed violence and promoting the laws that protect victims of war. An independent and neutral organization, its mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. With its headquarters based in Geneva, Switzerland, the ICRC employs some 17,000 people in more than 80 countries.